About Bengali Department
The century old Cotton University (earlier known as Cotton College) has a glorious history of its own. The Department of Bengali marked its beginning from the year1907 with the assistance of Sanskrit Department. Some of the renowned professors of Sanskrit Department were Prof. Pareshnath Lahiri, Prof.Mahamahopadhyay Padmanath Bhattacharya Vidyavinod (1905–23), Prof. Ramlal Kanjilal (1905-23), Prof.Shymacharan Chakraborty and Prof. Laxminarayan Chattopadhyay (1913 – 42). In the year 1927, the first temporary appointment, of full-time teachers in Bengali Department was granted. In the year 1943 Professor Jatindramohan Bhattacharya (1943-64) joined in Cotton Univesity (then it was Cotton College) and in the year 1944, the Bengali Department got the honour of an Independent Department; under the headship of Professor Jatindramohan Bhattacharya. During that remarkable era, three Professors also joined in the Bengali Department. They were Professor Ashutosh Biswas, Professor A. Choudhury and Professor R. R. Das. As time went by, Bengali Department has been running successfully with full support from its faculties and students.
The Bengali Dept. has witnessed many struggles and pioneer changes; and made the dept. what it is today. The Bengali Department has its own seminar library with more than 1500 books and is equipped with modern audio-visual teaching aids. It is a splendid technological boon provided to the students, helping them with better understanding.
The Department has a literary and cultural committee named ‘Banga Bhasa Sahitya Sanskriti Parishad’ under which the Research Journal, named ‘Arun’ is published every two year. One Yearly Magazine related to the students named ‘Sankranti’ is also published by the committee.
The Department has organized numbers of National Seminars, Workshops, Lectures and Various Literary and Cultural Programmes under this committee. The Department has a Little Magazine Library named ‘North Eastern. Little Magazine Archives’ (NELMA) in assistance with the Ramanath Bhattacharya Foundation (Mumbai) and Bytikram MASDO (Guwahati). A good number of little magazines in Bengali and Assamese are preserved in the NELMA. NELMA has already started digitalizing the little magazines, including rare little magazines of North East India.