About the Department
The century old Cotton University (earlier known as Cotton College) has a glorious history of it's own. The Department of Bengali marked her beginning from the year 1907 with the assistance of Sanskrit Department. In the year 1943 Professor Jatindramohan Bhattacharya (1943-64) joined in Cotton University (then Cotton college) and the Bengali Department got the honour of an independent Department under his headship in the year 1944. As time went by Bengali Department has been running successfully with full support from the faculties and students. The Department has it's own Seminar Library, a Little Magazine Library, a literary and cultural committee.